Responsibilities toward the authors who provide the content of the journals, the peer reviewers who comment on the appropriate manuscripts for publication, the journal’s readers and the scientific community, the owners/publishers of the journals. It depends upon the association between the editor and publisher of the journals.
Some of the roles and responsibilities:
- To provide guidelines to authors for preparing and submitting manuscripts
- To provide a clear statement to the editorial policies and standards on authorship criteria of Journals.
- To treat all authors with fairness, courtesy, objectivity, honesty, and transparency
- To protect the confidentiality of every author’s work
- To establish a system for effective and rapid peer-review
- Constructive editorial decisions making with reasonable speed and clear communication
- To avoid the possibility of editors delaying a manuscript for suspect reasons vigilantly
- Establishing clear guidelines for authors regarding acceptable practices for sharing experimental materials and information, particularly those required to replicate the research, before and after publication